October 26, 2016

How to Paint on a Jute Table Runner


I found this awfully cute jute table runner at Micheal's the other day at a 80% discount!!! I knew right away what I was going to do with it! I have been trying to decide for a while now how I could use my logo on my table at the craft shows. I had thought of having my logo embroidered on my black fitted tablecloth, but I paint and shouldn't it be painted??? Then I thought...what if I paint directly onto the fitted tablecloth, but then what if I ruin it or slop paint on it, they don't give away these tablecloths and you can't just buy them anywhere! So I had been thinking of painting on a piece of cloth and somehow attaching it to the black fitted tablecloth, but I hadn't found anything that appealed to me, until I found this table runner...problem solved!
So the first thing I did was print out my logo at the size that I wanted.

Then I tried to use graphite paper to trace the letters onto the jute, well that didn't work! So I placed the paper under the jute and pinned it securely in place.
It was still very difficult to see the letters, so I pulled out (and dusted off) my tracing light box, and voila that worked perfectly. I could very clearly see the letters through the jute.

I chose to use DecoArt's Chalky paint in Carbon, as I figured this paint sticks to most surfaces without needing any special prep. I painted the larger letters with a flat brush and everything else was done with my liner. It took 2-3 coats to cover well. You don't want the holes to be completely filled in with paint, but there needs to be enough paint to make it legible.
I am very pleased with how it turned out, I can't wait to use it at my next show!

No comments:

Post a Comment